DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Jubilant fans welcome Anand back home
Viswanathan Anand defeated Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand to defend his world chess championship title.
Chennai: World chess champion Viswanathan Anand on Saturday received a rousing welcome by his fans, who lined-up in good numbers to greet him, as the chess wizard returned home after winning his fifth world title.
Anand defeated Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand in rapid tie-break in Moscow to defend his world championship title.
The fans thronged the Chennai international airport to greet Anand. Parents of Anand and his wife Aruna were also there, apart from several chess players.
The government and the chess Federation officials also came to airport. Additional secretary Rajkumar and member secretary, Sports Vijay Kumar received Anand on behalf of the state government.
"I am very happy that so many people have come here to greet me and honour me," said Anand after arriving in Chennai from Moscow.
"I express my grateful thanks to madam (CM) Jayalalitha. They recognised my victory for a cash award of Rs 20 crore. I am happy that chess has been introduced in the schools. I am sure, more champions will grow now. I have sought a meeting with the CM and hopefully it will happen soon," he said.
All India Chess Federation (AICF) president JCD Prabhakar and Secretary General Bharat Singh and FIDE Vice President DV Sundar were also there to receive Anand.
Recommended For You
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Kangana-Ketan Battle: Another Filmmaker Accuses The Latter Of Hijacking His Film
- GST Effect: Ford Figo, Aspire, EcoSport Get Discounts Of Up To Rs 30,000
- Virat Kohli and Co Take Time Off After Practicing Hard in London
- War Machine Review: Brad Pitt Is Disappointing In This Satire Gone Wrong