Delhi Police gets 15 days custody of Jundal
The police had sought an extension of Jundal's custody, saying he was instrumental in training the 26/11 terrorists.
New Delhi: The Delhi Police was on Thursday granted the custody of 26/11 handler Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal for 15 days by the Tis Hazari Court. The Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist was produced before the court as his custody till July 5, which was granted after his arrest on June 21, ended on Thursday.
The police had sought an extension of Jundal's custody, saying he was instrumental in training the 10 Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorists who attacked different sites on November 26, 2008 in Mumbai, and was also present in the control room in Karachi along with top LeT terrorists Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and the officials of Pakistani military intelligence, the ISI.
Investigators have also seized Jundal's Pakistani passport and ID card which show his residence as Muridke near Lahore and his name as Riyasat Ali.
Several other agencies including the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the Pune and Mumbai Police have also been seeking the custody of Abu Jundal. However, the court is yet consider their plea on the issue.
The NIA has sought the custody of Jundal saying they need to ascertain if the LeT was planning another 26/11-type attack. Whereas, the Pune ATS has sought his custody in the Aurangabad arms haul case. They have also pointed that even the Supreme Court has already ordered an expeditious trial in the case.
On the other hand, the Mumbai crime branch has argued that they want the custody of Jundal so that they could confront him with Ajmal Kasab, and find out more about the 26/11 plot. They have also claimed that they were the first ones to approach the Delhi court for Jundal's custody.
The Maharashtra ATS has also sought his custody in connection with the German Bakery blast case.
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign
- Case Registered Against Man for Posting Objectionable Photo of PM Modi
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Killed 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps