Kamal Haasan victim of state terrorism: Mahesh Bhatt
The mega-budget film was due to be released on January 25, but the Tamil Nadu government banned the film.
New Delhi: Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt feels actor-director Kamal Haasan is a victim of state terrorism. "He is a victim of state terrorism. Are we living in a state where there is no law and order? This is a question, which not only a filmmaker should be asking, but the people of India must be asking," he added.
Bhatt calls Kamal a pride of the country.
"Kamal is a national asset. He has made a film by putting his everything at stake. He showed that film to the censor board members and after taking a legitimate censor certificate the film goes to the cinema halls. And after spending so much on the PR, and then state stops it," Bhatt said.
"In a country where you have the right for freedom of expression, there having a censor certificate and even high court, if he had to beg here and there, then what is the point," he added.
Bhatt has urged the film fraternity to come forward and support Kamal.
"This is the time when everyone should raise their voice and be on his side. It's a very dark moment in our history. Each and every person should fight for his (Kamal Haasan) justice."
Commenting on what is happening with him and superstar Shah Rukh Khan, Bhatt feels film industry is an easy target.
"Film industry is a soft target. Recently, Shah Rukh Khan also found himself in trouble when his statement was twisted and presented for political benefits. What is happening in our country?" he said.
The mega-budget film was due to release Jan 25, but the Tamil Nadu government banned the film following fears of law and order situation. The ban was further extended to Kerala and Andhra Pradesh.
The Madras High Court Tuesday ruled in favour of 'Vishwaroopam' and the ban was revoked. It, however, said the administrative step was to be taken by the government.
In another ruling on Wednesday, a two-judge bench of the high court re-imposed the ban on the film.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control