Kamal Hassan against death penalty for rapists
It is not the right way to deal a crime with another crime, Kamal Hassan said.
Kochi: Renowned actor Kamal Hassan on Sunday said he was ashamed of the gang rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi, but was against awarding death penalty to rapists. "I am against the decision to give them capital punishment because it is not the right way to deal a crime with another crime. Capital punishment itself is a judicially assisted murder," he said.
"It is my bus, It is my capital. The girl is my sister and it is my brother who has done it. I am ashamed," he said. The rape of the paramedical student on December 16 on a moving bus had evoked anger and nationwide protests for the past few days.
The protests took an ugly turn today in Delhi when hooligans and some political elements hijacked the peaceful protests, resulting in violence and attacks against public property and police which retaliated with teargas and water cannons, leading to injuries to persons on both sides.
Kamal Hassan, who was in Kochi for the audio release of his latest flick 'Viswaroopam', to be released on January 11, said he planned a sequel to the movie.
A day before the theatre release, the movie will have a premier show on DTH. Actress Pooja Kumar, who plays the female lead in the film, was also present.
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18