Kandhamal nun rape case: One more accused gets bail
Barring three accused out of the 30 that were named in the FIR, all the rest have secured bail.
Cuttack: While the trial in the Kandhamal nun rape case at the district and sessions court in Cuttack has been stayed by the Supreme Court for over a year, the Orissa High Court has granted bail to yet another accused in the case. With this, the number of accused getting bail in the case has gone up to 23.
Allowing the bail application of Seetaram Patra, who has been in jail since May 2009, Justice SC Parija on Monday asked the accused to appear before the court of additional district judge at Phulbani. "The lower court shall release the applicant on bail after imposing conditions it deems fit and proper," the High Court said.
The state crime branch probing into the case of August 2008, had arrested 26 accused till date from the 30 named in the FIR. Barring three accused, the remaining have secured bail. The nun was allegedly assaulted and raped on August 25, 2008 in Kandhamal district of Odisha during the riots which erupted in the aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models