Kanpur: Mob goes on rampage as train runs over youth
Pavan Kumar, a B Ed student at a private college, was run over when he slipped while trying to board a train bound for Farrukhabad.
Kanpur: A student died on Friday after coming under the wheels of a train at the Kalyanpur station in Kanpur, triggering an irate mob to go on rampage causing damage to railway property. Pavan Kumar (23), a B Ed student at a private college, was run over when he slipped while trying to board a train bound for Farrukhabad, police sources said.
With the news of the incident spreading around, ugly scenes unfolded at the railway station where an angry crowd went berserk and began damaging the property. The mob alleged that such accidents had been occurring at regular intervals and were due to the faulty construction of the railway platform which was not high enough.
A huge crowd gathered outside the railway station and began stoning at the buses and other vehicles, sources said, adding that a goods train too was not spared as the crowd hurled stones at it.
Police took considerable time to bring the situation in control while several officials have been deployed at the railway station to prevent any recurrence of the protests, Deputy Superintendent of Government Railway Police (GRP) Surendra Tiwari said.
Authorities were trying to identify those responsible for the disturbance, he added. The deceased's body has apparently been sent for postmortem.
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Search Operations in Baramulla for the Second Time
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake