Karunanidhi shares dais with Sai Baba
Karunanidhi expresses gratitude to Sri Sai Baba for taking up works to strengthen the Kandaleru-Poondi canal.
New Delhi: While addressing a thanks-giving meeting in Chennai, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday asserted that, ''Being an atheist there is nothing wrong in me sharing dais with Spiritual Leader and Godman Satya Sai Baba as our vision of serving the people are one and the same''.
Karunanidhi was delivering his presidential address at the meeting got up by the Chennai Citizens Conclave to express gratitude to Sri Sai Baba for taking up works to strengthen the Kandaleru-Poondi canal, which brings water to the city under the Telugu-Ganga scheme, at a cost of Rs 200 crore.
UNI quoted the CM as saying, ''Somebody might express surprise in sharing dais with the Godman. There is no surprise in it. Though I am an atheist, I have come here because I subscribe to the view that service to humanity is service to God.''
''We are serving the people in our own ways. While he (Baba) is doing in a spiritual way, I am doing it as a Governing person of the State. There is nothing wrong in it (me attending the function)'', Karunanidhi said.
''At a time when there were fake Godmen in the country, Sri Sai Baba was a true spiritual leader. Those who serve the people are equal to God. I believe in this. No one can disagree this view'', he said.
''Whether I accept the God is not the question. We should conduct ourselves in such a manner that God accepts us,'' Karunanidhi said.
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?