Kasab pleaded for mercy in a 4-line plea to the President
Ajmal Kasab was hanged to death at the Yerawada Jail in Pune on November 21, 2012.
New Delhi: Ajmal Kasab, the face of the dastardly 26/11 terror strike on Mumbai who was hanged, had begged for "daya" (mercy) from the President through his four-line clemency plea written in elementary Urdu.
The hand written petition dated September 12, 2012, which has been made public more than a month after Kasab was hanged, shows glaring Urdu language errors.
The application has been provided to Lucknow-based activist Urvashi Sharma under the Right to Information Act. In his brief application, Kasab pleaded, "Sir, mujhe fansi ki saza Supreme Court ho gayi hai. Fansi ki saza se mujhe chorr diya jaye. Mere upar daya karo aur muje fansi ki se riha kar de. Apka Ajmal Kasab (sic)."
It was translated by the Jail Authorities as, "Sir, I have been sentenced by Supreme Court for capital punishment (Hanged till death). It is most humbly and respectfully
pleaded to spare me from death sentence and also get me released from the gallows. It is my humble request. Yours"
The mercy petition was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee on November 5, 2012.
Pakistani citizen Kasab, the sole surviving terrorist from the 26/11 terror attack, was hanged to death at the Yerawada Jail in Pune on November 21, 2012. He was among the ten terrorists who had entered Mumbai through sea route on November 26, 2008 and launched a three-day mayhem which killed 166 people.
25-year-old Kasab had been lodged in the Arthur Jail Road here ever since he was arrested immediately after the attack in 2008. He was convicted and given capital punishment by the trial court on May 6, 2010 which was upheld by the Bombay High Court on February 21, 2011. The Supreme Court subsequently upheld the sentence on August 29, 2012.
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- Time to Stop All India-Pak Relations, Business, Sports, Cinema?