Katrina apologises for comments on Rahul Gandhi
During an interview on national television, the actress called Rahul 'half-Indian'
New Delhi: Actress Katrina Kaif has apologised for her comments describing Rahul Gandhi as "half Indian" but said her remarks were taken out of context.
"The comments have been misconstrued. They have been taken out of context. But having said that if I have caused hurt to anyone's sentiments, I deeply apologise. It was not the intention at all," Kaif told a TV news channel.
In an interview to a newspaper, the cine star had said, "Am I supposed to be ashamed that I am half-Asian, I mean, no! Rahul Gandhi is half-Indian, half-Italian. So? I am very proud of what I am and I just don't understand the confusion? as if I'm trying to hide the fact that my mother's a British. Why would I?"
The actress, who turned 28 recently, said she made those comments without any "malice or real thought" but regretted they were misconstrued by the media.
"I will also request the media not to make a controversial issue out of something which was not meant with any intention or malice or any real thought behind it. That's all I have to say," the actress said.
Kaif's remarks were met with contempt from the Congress, with party spokesperson Manish Tewari sarcastically saying, "Who is she? I do not know. Tomorrow, you will ask for our reaction on the statement of Johny Lever. To what level you want to bring down the level of the political discourse in the country?"
Kaif's role in Prakash Jha's 'Rajneeti' also courted controversy as it had some similarities of accent with that of Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
- India's Uri Payback, Pulls Out of Saarc, Has Saarc Itself Become Meaningless?
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- Talk and Terror Can't Go Together: MEA
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- 8 Times Ranbir Kapoor Wowed us With His Radical Approach Towards Life
- Saamana Office Attacked Over Cartoon Mocking Maratha Protests