Kay Kay Menon: Marketing cannot make a star
Kay Kay Menon feels that movies relying heavily on marketing is rather funny.
Mumbai: Actor Kay Kay says the current obsession of filmmakers with marketing is "very funny, but very sad also".
"You are only interested in marketing. You are not making cinema but gathering star surnames, making a project and that we'll think about the story and other things later," he told reporters on the sidline of an event.
He feels filmmakers' dependency on item numbers is unfair.
"They (filmmakers) proudly say that the item number made my film a hit. Then why did you make the film? You should have made an item number, or a music video separately. So these things are very funny, but very sad also," he said.
Kay Kay lauds Irrfan Khan, Manoj Bajpayee and Naseeruddin Shah as true actors and says it's sad that they are not given star status.
"In terms of percentage, out of 100 only five percent are actors, rest 95 percent are fake. Irrfan, Naseer, Manoj, if I count then you'll say that yes, they are good actors. But if they are good actors, then why are they not counted on top. It's a shame that Naseeruddin Shah today does not has that status that, I won't name anyone, an XYZ has," said Kay Kay who worked with Naseer in 'Chaali s Chaurasi'.
Explaining the importance of talent, he said that Sachin Tendulkar's son cannot become Sachin unless he performs in the field.
Taking a swipe at star kids, Kay Kay said: "As you age, you realise that you should salute sportsmen because that is one area where if you do not perform, you cannot become a star. Sunil Gavaskar's son cannot become Gavaskar, Sachin's son cannot become Sachin, he has to score a 100 there. They cannot become a star through PR or marketing."
"If that system is implemented in our industry, it would be great," added the 44-year-old known for his power-packed performances in 'Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi', 'Mumbai Meri Jaan' and 'Bhindi Bazaar'.
Kay Kay's forthcoming film 'Life Ki Toh Lag Gayi' is set for an April 20 release. Rakesh Mehta has directed the film that also stars Pradhuman Singh, Ranvir Shorey, Manu Rishi and Neha Bhasin.
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor