Kenya football stampede kills 9 fans
9 fans died in a stampede while trying to enter a stadium where a football match between two of Kenya's most popular teams was being played.
Nairobi: Nine fans died in a stampede while trying to enter a stadium where a football match between two of Kenya's most popular teams was being played, the Kenya Red Cross said.
Jack Oguda, the CEO of the Kenya Premier League, said he did not know why fans couldn't get into the stadium properly because it wasn't full.
"A gate was broken into by fans forcing their way into the stadium," Oguda said. "Access was limited and they got agitated, and that's why they forced their way in. We'll start an inquiry into the matter to establish why fans could not access the stadium."
Zedekiah Otieno, the coach of Gor Mahia, which beat the AFC Leopards 1-0 in the game, said: "Management should ensure that gates are open on time to avoid a mad rush to the stadium during games of this magnitude."
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India