Kerala govt orders probe into juvenile home abuse
The Kerala government has ordered a probe into the alleged sexual abuse of children in a juvenile home in Kottayam.
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government has ordered a probe into the alleged sexual abuse of children in a juvenile home at Thiruvanchur in Kottayam district, run by the Social Welfare Department. Based on a report by CNN-IBN, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy instructed the Director of Social Welfare Department to conduct an inquiry and submit an initial report, official sources said here on Thursday.
Some of the children had told CNN-IBN that they had been subjected to physical and mental harassment by some staff of the juvenile home. They also complained that the institution even lacked basic amenities and no remedial measures had been taken by the authorities despite repeated requests.
Director of Social Welfare Department M S Jaya has gone to the home to assess the veracity of the complaints, they said.
Recommended For You
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology