Key molecule behind Alzheimer's disease identified
Scientists have found a scissor-like protein responsible for sprouting of plaques - a telltale sign of the disease.
Toronto: Canadian researchers have identified a key molecule that controls a scissor-like protein responsible for sprouting of plaques -- the telltale sign of Alzheimer's disease. Molecule GSK3-beta activates a gene that creates a protein, called BACE1. When BACE1 cuts another protein, called amyloid precursor protein (APP), the resulting fragment - known as amyloid beta - forms tiny fibres that clump together into plaques, eventually killing neural (brain) cells.
Using an animal model, Weihong Song, professor of psychiatry at the University of British Columbia (UBC), found that disabling GSK3-beta's effect in mice resulted in less BACE1 and far fewer deposits of amyloid in their brains. Such mice performed better than untreated mice on memory tests, the Journal of Clinical Investigation reports. Previous research had shown that GSK3-beta spurred the growth of twisted fibres inside neurons, known as tangles -- another hallmark of AD.
Song says his discovery of the protein's dual destructiveness makes it a promising target for drug research, according to a UBC statement. GSK3-beta, however, is a versatile enzyme that controls many vital physiological functions. The drug used to inhibit GSK3-beta in the mice is too indiscriminate, and could cause several serious side effects, including cancer. "If we can find a way to stop GSK3-beta's specific reaction with BACE1, and still leave it intact to perform other crucial tasks, we have a much better chance of treating AD and preventing its progression," says Song.
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- HC Dismisses Kejriwal's Plea to Stay Defamation Case Filed by Arun Jaitley
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event