Khairlanji killings: Death for six, life term for two
In Sep 2006, four members of a Dalit family in Khairlanji were murdered.
New Delhi: Six of the 11 accused in the Khairlanji killings case have been given death sentence and two have been sentenced to life imprisonment sentence by a court in Bhandara on Wednesday.
Those given death sentence were Sakru Binjewar, Shatrughan Dhande, Vishwanath Dhande, Ramu Dhande, Jagdish Mandlekar and Prabhakar Mandlekar. Gopal Binjewar and Shishpal Dhande were awarded life sentence.
CBI's counsel Ujjwal Nikam expressed satisfaction over the verdict saying it will restore harmony in the society.
The first ad-hoc sessions judge, S S Dass, who on Monday convicted eight of the 11 accused in the case for murder of four members of a family in Khairlanji of Bhandara district.
Earlier on Monday Dass heard arguments of prosecution and defence on the quantum of punishment and fixed September 24 for his pronouncement.
Nikam had made a forceful plea for capital punishment to all guilty of the "frozen blooded" murder of the wife and three children of Bhaiyyalal Bhotmange, a farmer, on September 29, 2006, defence counsel Sudip Jaiswal and Neeraj Khandewale pleaded for leniency in view of the act committed in the heat of the moment and clean past record of the accused on Monday.
On Saturday, a trial court announced the much awaited pronouncement of punishment to the eight people convicted of killing four Dalits in Khairlanji village of Maharashtra will be made on September 24.
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Hosting a Card Party This Diwali? 5 Easy Snack Ideas to Make Your Preparations Easier
- New Zealand Policemen Dance To Salman Khan's Hit Songs To Celebrate Diwali