Kidnapped Maharashtra official freed after 78 days in Arunachal
He was kidnapped May 13 from Arunachal Pradesh where he had gone on a vacation.
Pune: Senior Maharashtra bureaucrat Vijay S Bardekar, who was kidnapped May 13 from Arunachal Pradesh where he had gone on a vacation, has been released from captivity by alleged Bodo militants after 78 days, a family member said in Pune on Monday.
Bardekar is expected to return to his home town on Tuesday. He was released by his captors on Sunday and handed over to his family members who are currently in Guwahati in Assam, former Maharashtra inspector general of police and Baredkar's uncle SS Suradkar said.
"It was because of the prayers of people of Maharashtra and other parts of India, and the strong efforts by Maharashtra Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam and others which brought joy to the family," Suradkar told IANS.
The development came in the wake of efforts for nearly 10 weeks by his family members, the chief ministers of Maharashtra, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and the central government to secure his safe release.
Bardekar, in his early 50s, is a 1984 batch Indian Forest Service official and is currently posted as joint director (administration) in the social forestry directorate in Pune.
Bardekar was reportedly kidnapped from Daimara village in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh when he was preparing to spend the night there. Two other locals accompanying him were brutally assaulted by the suspected militants, who abducted Bardekar.
The suspected kidnapping was carried out by around a dozen militants belonging to the National Democratic Front of Bodoland, which also refers to itself as Bodo Security Force.
Bardekar was on a fortnight's leave to pursue his hobby of watching butterflies, which abound in that region, Suradkar said.
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Might Get Snapdragon 821, 2K Display and 4GB RAM
- Ramdev Plans World Class Varsity in India
- Honoured To Pay Tribute to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: Ali Zafar