Koda scam: Over Rs 1 cr seized in raids, still counting
The raids began Tuesday morning at 70 places in 13 cities across India.
Ranchi: Income Tax raids continued for the third day on Thursday on properties of some senior officials, including Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren's personal secretary, in connection with the Rs.2,500-crore money laundering scam involving former chief minister Madhu Koda, officials said.
"Raids are going on at a few places and at majority of the places it has been concluded. We are likely to conclude the raids by Thursday late night," a top Income Tax official told IANS on the condition of anonymity.
He added: "In the raids at different places, cash more than Rs.1 crore has been seized. Besides cash, we have seized fixed deposits (receipts) worth more than Rs.2 crore from the houses of government officials."
According to sources in the IT department, the documents seized relate to flats, land and other investments.
IT sources also said that the story of Soren's personal secretary is interesting. In a short span of time, he has became a billionaire.
The raids began Tuesday morning at 70 places in 13 cities across India, including Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Chaibasa, Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore.
Those whose properties were raided include Soren's personal secretary M.L. Pal, two former chiefs of Jharkhand State Electricity Board (JSEB) VN Pandey and H B Lal, retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer and former mines secretary Jaishankar Tiwari, Jharkhand Mines and Geology director B B Singh, chief engineer of JSEB PK Singh, member of state pollution control board RK Sinha and member of JSEB SN Chaudhary.
While Koda is in jail on charges of having assets disproportionate to his known sources of income, two of his associates Vinod Sinha and Sanjay Chaudhary are absconding.
On October 9 last year, Koda was booked under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) along with three former ministers besides Sinha and Chaudhary.
- Cycle to Motorcycle? How Ram Gopal Yadav's Trip to EC Created a Stir
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp