Pranab to inaugurate new terminal in Kolkata airport today
The new passenger terminal will have a capacity to handle an annual traffic of 20 million passengers.
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee will be in Kolkata on Sunday to inaugurate the integrated terminal building of the city's airport. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is expected to be present along with Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh during the inaugural.
The new passenger terminal will have a capacity to handle an annual traffic of 20 million passengers as compared to the present 7.46 million. The state-of-the-art integrated terminal of the Rs 1800 crore modernization project at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport has been successfully completed by ITD Cementation India Limited in joint venture with its parent, Italian-Thai Development Public Co Ltd, Thailand, an ITD Cementation release said in Kolkata on Saturday.
The new airport terminal has a covered area of 2.33 lakh sq metre with 40 immigration counters, 26 conveyor belts, 6 customs counters and 18 aerobridges.
The facilities included 48 international and 80 domestic check-in counters, 38 immigration counters, 23 international and 33 domestic security gates with frisking booths. The release said the terminal could handle 7,452 passengers per hour as compared to the previous 2,850 passengers.
For the comfort of air travellers, the area per peak hour passenger was now 29 sq m as compared to the earlier 15.34 sq m in the international terminal and 22 sq m as compared to the earlier 14.38 sq m in the domestic terminal.
The airport could now handle an Airbus 380, while earlier it could handle aircraft not larger than a Boeing 747. An additional 11 parking bays have been added to the existing 12, increasing the total number to 23.
The ITD, the release said, has vast experience in airports and has earlier built Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, Mandalay International Airport, Myanmar, Don Muang Bangkok International Terminal Expansion and Ahmedabad Airport.
With additional information from PTI
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Abhishek Verma Rejects Allegations of Purported Defence Leaks by Varun Gandhi
- Wasn't Honey-trapped, Did Not Leak Defence Secrets, Says Varun Gandhi
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son