Kolkata: 1 dead, 6 injured in train collision
3 coaches of the Shantipur-Sealdah local were derailed after its driver disregarded the red signal resulting in the collision.
Kolkata: One person was killed while six others were injured on Saturday night when a local train hit a stationary train at a platform in West Bengal's Nadia district, railway officials said.
The head-on collision took place when the Shantipur-Sealdah local which was coming from the opposite direction hit the stationary Sealdah-Shantipur local train waiting at the number 2 platform of Fulia station.
Three coaches of the Shantipur-Sealdah local were derailed after its driver "disregarded" the red signal resulting in the collision, a railway spokesperson said.
An off-duty railway gateman who was travelling in the other train was killed, officials said, adding its driver is among the six injured.
A rescue operation has already begun at the local level while a relief train from Kolkata has been rushed to the spot with a medical team.
When contacted, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi said that a compensation of Rs 5 lakh will be given to the deceased and Rs 50,000 for those injured.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra Gets Beyonce's Makeup Artist for NYFW
- Gareth Bale Back With a Bang as Real Madrid Extend Lead
- Jaguar XE, XF and F-Pace Owners Can Soon Pay for Fuel Through Their Infotainment System
- Hidden Figures Review: A Film That Makes You Revisit the Past For a Better Future
- IPL 2017: Five Players To Watch Out For At The Auctions