Fire in Kolkata paper godown, no casualties
The godown is located on Dongzel lane near central metro station. Five fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
New Delhi: A fire broke out in a paper Godown off Chittaranjan Avenue in Central Kolkata on Thursday night. The godown is located on Dongzel lane near central metro station. Five fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
There was no report of any casualty, the fire brigade sources said.
Locals assisted firemen in moving the people to a safer place. The sources said that inflammable articles in the godown caused the fire to spread.
Fire Services Minister Javed Khan and city mayor Sovan Chatterjee were headed to the place to oversee fire fighting arrangements.
Khan said he had received a complaint that the studio was illegal.
The mayor said nearby houses have been evacuated and the residents moved to safer places.
With addtional information from PTI
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- Heavy traffic jams reported in Delhi on Dhanteras
- Gold sales jump about 20 per cent for Diwali: Trade body