Kolkata experiences major power crisis
A massive power failure crippled Kolkata with no power for two hours.
Kolkata: Entire Kolkata remained in dark for hours on Sunday evening after the Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation (CESC) system crashed following a major fault.
Underground metro services came to a halt, hospitals went off power and water pumping stations did not function, compounding the woes of the people as a sweltering heat continued to plague the city.
CESC sources said that the disaster followed a major fault in the State Electricity Board feeder system at Howrah, resulting in simultaneous trip in CESC's power plants at Budge Budge, Titagarh, New Cossipore and southern parts.
''The system has been partially restored following war-footing work and we hope complete normalcy would return shortly,'' a CESC spokesperson said.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology