Kolkata: Neighbour accused of raping 24-yr-old differently-abled girl
The shameful incident comes just hours after hundreds of women anti-rape protesters were detained outside CM Mamata Banerjee's residence.
Kolkata: The crime against women continues unabated in the country. In Bidhannagar, the IT hub of Kolkata, a 24-year-old differently-abled girl was raped allegedly by her neighbour on Thursday.
The girl's mother has filed an FIR at the New Town Police Station. However, no arrests have been made yet. The suspect is absconding, the police say.
The incident comes just hours after hundreds of women protesters were detained outside Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's residence. The women had been protesting against the recent rape and murder of a woman in Barasat.
The ruling Trinamool Congress called it a "CPM conspiracy to destabilise the government". "The protests outside the CM's residence is a conspiracy by CPI-Marxist women. This is a conspiracy by the CPI-M, the Congress and the Maoists to destabilise the government," said Mukul Roy. He further announced that the TMC will take a counter rally to "clear the misperception" being created by the opposition about the government.
The protesters, however, slammed the government for cracking down on a peaceful strike and called it an attack on the freedom of expression.
On Wednesday, new data with the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) had revealed that West Bengal has the highest incidence of crimes against women. The data showed that 30,942 incidents of crimes against women were reported in the state in 2012 - the highest in the country.
The data ranked Kolkata as the third most unsafe city in the country, preceded by Delhi and Bangalore.
The West Bengal government, however, was quick to contest the report saying that the numbers were misleading, and did not take into account the fact that the rate of crimes had declined.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K