Kolkata Ready For Maiden Durga Puja Immersion Carnival
Rituals of Durga Puja going on at Sarkar Bari, during the Durga Puja celebrations. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Kolkata: Amid tight security arrangements, this eastern metropolis on Friday geared up for the maiden carnival parade of as many as 39 award-winning community Durga Puja idols, to showcase the variety of artistic creations, before immersion in the Hooghly river.
The 39 pujas are winners of West Bengal's 'Biswa Bangla Sharad Samman' award.
The event, presided over by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, will provide a window of two to three minutes each to every Puja committee to showcase their endeavours in a tableau-like formation.
Around 10,000 visitors and 2,000 VIPs are expected to watch the floats from barricaded seating areas set up on either side of the road, the city police said.
Smaller puja committees are allowed to display a maximum of three tableaux while bigger ones can highlight as many as five floats.
Several arterial roads, including Mayo Road, have been closed to traffic for the three-hour event.
"Spectators coming by trams or buses will have to alight at Esplanade or Park Street and walk it down to the venue," the police said.
For ease of viewing, four giant screens have been placed at vantage points along the stretch.
Recommended For You
- TOKYO 2020 DREAMSMy Aim is to Equal Sushil's Feat of Two Olympic Medals: Sakshi Malik
- revisiting old times!Rekha Is Ditching Kanjivaram Saris For Something Strange These Days
- #GharWapsi'I Am Born Congressman' Says Navjot Singh Sidhu, Twitter Goes Berserk
- World RecordSubstitute Bangladesh Wicketkeeper Imrul Kayes Sets World Record
- Partner ContentWatch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment