Koodankulam row: Delegation to meet PM today
Delegation of both the Tamil Nadu Government and activists opposed to the Plant will meet PM.
New Delhi: A delegation of both the Tamil Nadu Government and activists opposed to the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the issue on Friday.
The delegation would submit separate memoranda to Singh, indicating the differences between the state government and the anti-nuclear activists spearheading the stir calling for the scrapping of the Indo-Russian project.
On September 22, the state Cabinet had adopted a resolution requesting the Centre to halt work on plant till safety concerns of the people were addressed.
A fast by 127 persons was withdrawn after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa promised to adopt a resolution in the Cabinet and arrange a meeting with the Prime Minister.
She had written to the Prime Minister urging him to halt the project till safety concerns were addressed.
Singh had also deputed his ministry colleague V Narayanasamy to the protest site to have a dialogue with the protestors.
The Prime Minister had recently said the Centre would sit with all enlightened leadership of Tamil Nadu and find a "practical solution" to the controversy over the project, but maintained that atomic energy is the energy of the future and its importance cannot be undermined.
Locals have been opposing the commissioning of the 1000 MW nuclear power plant being built with Russian collaboration citing safety concerns.
(With Additional Inputs from PTI)
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time