Kumble case: HC dismisses plea against police
Kumar Jagirdar former husband of Kumble's wife, had moved the HC praying for direction to police to register a FIR against him.
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday dismissed as "withdrawn" a petition filed against police accusing them of not registering an FIR against former cricketer Anil Kumble for allegedly forging the signature of his stepdaughter's father to obtain passport for her.
Kumar Jagirdar, former husband of Kumble's wife Chetana, had moved the High Court in January 2012 praying for direction to police to register a FIR against Kumble.
In his petition, Jagirdar said police had not registered an FIR on his complaint filed on December 26, 2011. Aaruni, born to Chetana and Jagirdar, lives with her mother and Kumble.
Justice Abdul Nazeer dismissed the plea as withdrawn after Jagirdar sought to withdraw it following the Government advocate informing the court that after a police inquiry it was found that there was no case to proceed against Kumble.
The former India captain explained that he had affixed his signature in the column of parent/guardian and not as Aaruni's father, it was submitted.
Police had closed the case in view of Kumble's explanation. Bharathinagar Police Inspector, Pramod Kumar, who is the Investigating Officer in the case, was present complying with a court directive to appear on Tuesday. The Court on Feb 24 had directed him to be present to explain as to why an FIR had not been registered against Kumble.
In his complaint, Jagirdar, who has been engaged in a legal battle with Chetana over the custody of their daughter, had stated that despite a Supreme Court judgment, which gave joint guardianship of his daughter in 2004, Kumble and Chetana went ahead to apply for a passport for Aaruni with a "forged" signature.
- Missing Home This Diwali? 7 Movies to Make You Feel Closer to Your Loved Ones
- Twitter to Launch Diwali Emoji, Will Be Available Starting 28 Oct
- PM Urges Citizens to Send Their Messages to Jawans This Diwali
- Did you tweet with #HappDiwali? Find yourself in Twitter's after-Diwali diya mosaic
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Gold prices soar by Rs 840 in biggest single-day gain in 2014
- Snapshot: Arjun Rampal's daughter Mahikaa is all grown up now!
- Gold tumbles on reduced offtake, weak global cues