Kurnool, Tirupati in fray for capital for new Andhra
<p>Following the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament, the residual state of Andhra Pradesh is now facing the task of choosing a new capital city with various leaders pitching for their regions.</p>
Following the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament, the residual state of Andhra Pradesh is now facing the task of choosing a new capital city with various leaders pitching for their regions.
T G Venkatesh, Minor Irrigation Minister in the outgoing Kiran Kumar Reddy government, said Kurnool should be the capital of the new Andhra Pradesh. Venkatesh hails from Kurnool district.
There should not be any bad blood between the Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra regions, unlike that between Telangana and Seemandhra in the undivided Andhra Pradesh, Venkatesh said.
He suggested that there could be two capitals, to satisfy both the regions.
Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, a former TDP MLA who heads an outfit which champions the cause of Rayalaseema, also demanded that Kurnool be the new capital.
Senior Congress MP from Tirupati, Chinta Mohan, wants the famous temple town as the new capital.
Rayalaseema comprises districts of Chittoor, Kadapa, Kurnool and Anantapur.
The Centre has said that a committee would be set up to go into the issue of the new capital for residuary Andhra Pradesh.
- SP Leader Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- SP Meet Turns into Family Drama, Akhilesh & Shivpal Spar In Public
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official