Kvitova defeats Errani to win Dubai title
Petra Kvitova won her first title in six months when she beat Sara Errani of Italy 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 in the Dubai Championships final.
Dubai: Former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova won her first title in six months when she beat Sara Errani of Italy 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 in the Dubai Championships final on Saturday.
Kvitova, ranked one spot below Errani at No. 8, also beat the Italian en route to her previous title - her ninth - in New Haven on the eve of the US Open. But this was their toughest encounter.
Errani lost the first four points and her serve, and Kvitova won the first set handily.
But the Czech appeared to lose her focus in the second, committing consecutive double faults and winning just one game in the set. Errani charged the net and surprised Kvitova with drop shots.
In the deciding set, Kvitova recovered enough to stave off break points in her second service game, and with renewed confidence she put away Errani with ease.
It was the second runner-up finish this month for Errani, who also reached the indoor final in Paris. She and Roberta Vinci, whom she beat in the semifinals, won the Australian Open doubles.
Recommended For You
- Indian Spinners Lacked Patience in the Second Innings: Maninder Singh
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards
- Steve Smith Reaches Career-High Rating After Pune Test