Landslide on Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway, 1500 Feared Stranded
Gopeshwar: The Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway was on Friday closed near Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district due to a landslide, following which hundreds of pilgrims were feared stranded at different places here.
The highway has been closed near Vishnuprayag, one of the five confluences of Alaknanda river, between Joshimath (alsoknown as Jyotirmath) and Badrinath, the famous pilgrim spot in the hill state.
District Magistrate Ashish Joshi told PTI that BRO (Border Roads Organisation) personnel are engaged in clearing the roads and it could be opened for the traffic by the Saturday afternoon.
He also said efforts are on to provide all facilities to 1,000-1,500 pilgrims who are at Joshimath, Karnaprayag, Pipalkoti, Govindghat and Badrinath. The pilgrims have been asked to stay at these places till the way is cleared.
However, witnesses said that huge rocks from Hathi Pahar have fallen over the road and it could take a long time to get the way cleared.
Due to the closure, pilgrims on way to Badrinath have temporarily stopped at Joshimath, Pipalkoti and Karnaprayag, and are waiting for the way to get cleared.
Recommended For You
- Lipstick Under My Burkha Trailer: Daring Portrayal of Women Liberation
- 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift Review: A Charming Drive, For Drivers and Drivens Alike
- Ravi Shastri To Apply For India Coach Job, Has BCCI Assured Him Post?
- Ivanka Trump Fashion Choices: 12 Times Trump's Daughter Made Headlines
- Antalya Open: Ramkumar Stuns World Number 8 Thiem to Enter Quarters