Landslide on Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway, 1500 Feared Stranded
He also said efforts are on to provide all facilities to 1,000-1,500 pilgrims who are at Joshimath, Karnaprayag, Pipalkoti, Govindghat and Badrinath.
Gopeshwar: The Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway was on Friday closed near Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district due to a landslide, following which hundreds of pilgrims were feared stranded at different places here.
The highway has been closed near Vishnuprayag, one of the five confluences of Alaknanda river, between Joshimath (alsoknown as Jyotirmath) and Badrinath, the famous pilgrim spot in the hill state.
District Magistrate Ashish Joshi told PTI that BRO (Border Roads Organisation) personnel are engaged in clearing the roads and it could be opened for the traffic by the Saturday afternoon.
He also said efforts are on to provide all facilities to 1,000-1,500 pilgrims who are at Joshimath, Karnaprayag, Pipalkoti, Govindghat and Badrinath. The pilgrims have been asked to stay at these places till the way is cleared.
However, witnesses said that huge rocks from Hathi Pahar have fallen over the road and it could take a long time to get the way cleared.
Due to the closure, pilgrims on way to Badrinath have temporarily stopped at Joshimath, Pipalkoti and Karnaprayag, and are waiting for the way to get cleared.
Recommended For You
- Infosys Regrets Vishal Sikka’s Resignation; Issues Statement on His Current Role, Salary
- Sri Lanka vs India 2017: Virat Kohli and Co. Arrive in Style for 1st ODI
- Top 5 Affordable Diesel Cars in India - Tata Tiago, Hyundai Grand i10 and more
- Happy Birthday Gulzar: 20 Verses That Prove There's No One Quite Like The Legendary Writer
- Hardik Pandya Gifts Father an SUV, Find Out Which One