DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Lankan court orders release of 27 Tamil Nadu fishermen
The fishermen, who belonged to Karaikal and Nagapattinam, were arrested on December 23 when they were fishing in the Lankan maritime area.
Rameswaram: A Sri Lankan court has ordered the release of 27 fishermen who were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy recently along with their four boats, fisheries officials said on Wednesday.
According to fisheries department officials and president of the 'Innocent Fishermen's Association' U Arulanandam, the court ordered their release on Wednesday. They said the Jaffna court had also ordered for release of the four boats and these vessels be taken along with the fishermen to Talaimannar.
The fishermen, who belonged to Karaikal and Nagapattinam, were arrested on December 23 when they were fishing in the Lankan maritime area, police said. The fishermen would arrive in India shortly, they said.
Lankan Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya had said on December 24 that the Indians were arrested for "poaching inside Sri Lanka international maritime border limits off the eastern coast".
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy: All-out Aggression Will Not Work In English Conditions, Says Kedar
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- 'Missing' Chennai-based Model Gaanam Nair Returns Home
- List of Top Five Bikes to Buy in Less Than Rs 1 Lakh: The One That's Meant For You
- Nana Patekar Bags Key Role In Kaala Karikaalan