Mumbai lawyer murdered after resisting rape
The police also suspect that the accused tinkered with electric supply to get entry into the victim's house.
Mumbai: The Mumbai Police claims to have cracked the murder of 25-year-old lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha. The police have said that the security guard, Sajjad Pathan, first attempted to rape the victim. When she resisted, he hit her with a blunt object before slitting her throat with a knife when she tried to ring her neighbour's doorbell for help.
The police also suspect that Pathan tinkered with electric supply to get entry into the victim's house. The security guard of the apartment building where she lived has been arrested after he confessed to the murder.
Sajjad Pathan was caught at Mumbai Railway station when he was trying to flee the city. He reportedly confessed to police that he killed Pallavi simply because she had yelled at him a few days back.
Pathan said he decided to attack her at night as he knew she was alone. Pathan reportedly told police, "Pallavi had shouted at me a few days earlier. I was in a state of rage and wanted revenge. I attacked her as I knew she would be alone at home that night."
Pallavi was found dead by her live-in partner in their 16th floor apartment in Central Mumbai's Wadala area on Thursday.
Earlier on Thursday, a police officer had said that the woman's throat was slit and her neighbours had informed the police.
The police had taken Pallavi's live-in partner into custody, following which he was questioned. He is also said to be from the legal fraternity.
The woman's father is said to be a Delhi-based IAS officer.
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: Shivpal Expels Akhilesh's Aide Pawan Pandey From Party
- Samajwadi Party Live: Mulayam Singh 'Ready In Principle' to Ally With Congress-RLD, Hints Shivpal
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Mulayam Singh Yadav Has Cemented Akhilesh's Future By Playing it Out in Public
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out