Leander Paes and partner beaten by Thai brothers
Unseeded Thai brothers Ratiwana and Ratiwana dashed the hopes of Paes and Vasselin 7-6(7), 6-1 to breeze into the quarter-final.
Chennai: Unseeded Thai brothers Sanchai Ratiwana and Sonchat Ratiwana dashed the hopes of defending champion Leander Paes and Edouard Roger Vasselin of France 7-6 (7) 6-1 to breeze into the quarter-final of the Aircel Chennai Open Tennis tournament here on Wednesday.
Paes, who had won the doubles title here on five occasions in the company of Mahesh Bhupathi, was partnering Vasselin for the first time and the Thai duo steamrolled the rival in the second set completely. Vasselin was broken in the very first game and then Paes and his partner managed to return the compliment in the sixth game.
Then, the rivals won their respective games to meander the set to a tie break. Here, the seeds trained 2-5 but Paes brought about parity to level the score at seven all before surrendering the initiative.
In the second, the Thai duo broke Paes in the fourth game after a one-all scoreline and then broke Vasselin in the sixth game, after which Sonchat held his serve for the set and the match.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- AB de Villiers Breaks Sourav Ganguly's Record
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology