Leh: Tyre of AI plane catches fire, passengers safe
The stranded passengers were later airlifted to Srinagar in a separate flight.
New Delhi: As many as 115 passengers on board an Indian Airlines plane escaped unhurt on Wednesday when the tyre of an Airbus A-320-200 aircraft deflated while applying emergency brakes after the pilot noticed a fault in one of the engines.
According to official sources, the Airbus A-320-200 was about to take off from Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport for Srinagar this afternoon when the pilot noticed the snag.
Instead of taking off, the pilot applied emergency brakes which resulted in bursting of one of the tyres of the plane at the airport, located 10,682 feet above sea level, the sources said.
The plane, which is modified for flying to Leh, was taxied to a parallel runway and all the passengers were later flown in another plane that was flown from Delhi, the sources said.
The passengers of AI-448 later arrived at Srinagar airport at 1500 hours while a technical team of Air India attended to the snag in the aircraft, they said.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
Recommended For You
- CHAMPIONS!Women's T20 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 17 Runs to Clinch Title
- It's Showtime!Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer is Here and Baby Groot Owns It
- Legal TroubleBigg Boss 10: Omji Maharaj Out of the House, To Appear Before Delhi Court
- Can't MissJolly LLB 2 First Look: Akshay Kumar is a 'Jolly Good' Middle Class Man
- Snapped!Virat-Anushka Are All Smiles As They Head Back From Yuvraj-Hazel Wedding