DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
LG G Pad 8.3 launched, features better display than Apple's iPad Mini
Powered by Qualcomm's 1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600 processor, the LG G Pad 8.3 has 2GB RAM and a 5 megapixel camera.
New Delhi: LG Electronics Inc introduced its first tablet with a high-resolution screen, joining global rivals trying to take on Apple Inc's dominance in the popular small-sized tablet market.
The G Pad 8.3 is the first tablet by the South Korean firm in nearly two years as it has struggled to regain lost ground in the mobile market due to a slow response to the industry's shift to smartphones. The G Pad 8.3 has 1,920-by-1,200 resolution at 273 pixel per inch (ppi), better than Apple's 7.9-inch iPad Mini, which has 1,024-by-768 resolution at 163 ppi. It will square off against such products as Amazon's faster and lighter versions of its Kindle tablet that were introduced late last month.
The tablet is powered by Qualcomm's 1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600 processor and has 2GB RAM. It has a 5 megapixel rear camera and a 1.3 megapixel front camera. Packed with a 4,600mAh, the tablet runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. The tablet will be available in two colours - Black and White.
The world's third-largest smartphone maker after Samsung Electronics Co and Apple hopes the new tablet with a sharper display will help it gain traction during the year-end holiday season as Android-based tablets continue to win market share from Apple's iPad.
The launch comes as Apple has been unable to widely roll out a new version of its iPad Mini with a high-resolution "retina" display this month, according to sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, leaving the gadget without the sharper screen found on rival tablets.
LG has also added a feature that allows users to check and send messages received by their Android smartphone from the tablet, hoping such function will help it stand out in an increasingly crowded mobile market.
The new tablet, which is available for Wifi only version, will be sold for 550,000 won ($510) from next week in South Korea and will be introduced in some 30 countries by the end of this year.
Key Specifications: LG G Pad 8.3
- Processor: 1.7GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 Processor
- Display: 8.3-inch WUXGA (1920 x 1200 pixels / 273 ppi)
- Memory: 16GB eMMC
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR2
- Camera: Rear 5.0MP / Front 1.3MP
- Battery: 4,600mAh
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 216.8 x 126.5 x 8.3mm
- Weight: 338g
- Colours: Black / White
(With inputs from Reuters)
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams Review: A Rush Of Nostalgia For Tendulkar's Fans
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Rishabh Pant Adds New Mercedes to His Garage After IPL Heroics
- Idea 4G Services Launched in Mumbai With Invitation Offers, Promotional Tariffs