Li Na overcomes Julia Goerges in Round of 16
She enters her first Grand Slam quarter-final since winning the French Open in 2011.
Melbourne: Li Na won a tight first-set tiebreaker and beat Julia Goerges 7-6 (6), 6-1 to advance to her first Grand Slam quarter-final since her breakthrough major win at the 2011 French Open.
After an initial scare, the No. 6-seeded Li came back strong in the second set, dropping just one game. Since becoming the first Chinese player to win a Grand Slam, Li had failed to advance past the fourth round at a major.
She teamed up with Justine Henin's former coach, Carlos Rodriguez, after Wimbledon last year to help raise her game.
She could face No. 2 Maria Sharapova in the semi-finals and No. 3 Serena Williams in the final.
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- South Korea Stands With India Against Terrorism: Park Geun Hye
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution