Li Na overcomes Julia Goerges in Round of 16
She enters her first Grand Slam quarter-final since winning the French Open in 2011.
Melbourne: Li Na won a tight first-set tiebreaker and beat Julia Goerges 7-6 (6), 6-1 to advance to her first Grand Slam quarter-final since her breakthrough major win at the 2011 French Open.
After an initial scare, the No. 6-seeded Li came back strong in the second set, dropping just one game. Since becoming the first Chinese player to win a Grand Slam, Li had failed to advance past the fourth round at a major.
She teamed up with Justine Henin's former coach, Carlos Rodriguez, after Wimbledon last year to help raise her game.
She could face No. 2 Maria Sharapova in the semi-finals and No. 3 Serena Williams in the final.
Recommended For You
- Ajinkya Rahane Just Walked Out & Said I Will Dominate: KL Rahul
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Black) Review: The Perfect Phone at Rs 12,999
- Here's How Kareena Kapoor Khan Is Shedding Her Post-Pregnancy Weight
- Avail Lowest Fares With AirAsia To Travel Across Asia and Australia
- Looking For a Solution For Everything Construction Related?