Libya: French embassy hit by car bomb in Tripoli
Diplomatic missions have been targeted in Libya, the attack on the US mission in September 2012 killed the US ambassador and 3 other.
Tripoli: French embassy in Libya was hit by what appeared to be a car bomb on Tuesday, injuring two guards in the first such attack in the capital Tripoli since the end of the 2011 war that ousted Muammar Gaddafi.
Residents living near the embassy compound, in the capital's Hay Andalus area, said they heard two blasts early in the morning around 7 am (0500 GMT).
"We think it was a booby trapped car," a French embassy official told Reuters. "There was a lot of damage and there are two guards wounded."
In Paris, Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius condemned what he called a heinous attack and said everything would be done to find the perpetrators. "I send my solidarity and deepest sympathy to the two injured French guards and my wishes for their recovery," he said in a statement.
One resident living less than 100 metres from the embassy said his windows shook when the first blast occurred. "I think there were two blasts, the first was very loud and then there was a smaller one," another witness said. "There was some black smoke at first, and then it turned white."
Diplomatic missions have been targeted in Libya, most notably an attack on the US mission in the eastern city of Benghazi in September 2012 that killed the US ambassador and three other Americans.
However Tuesday's attack is the first such serious assault on an embassy or foreign mission in Tripoli, where in general security is seen as better than in the east. Security remains precarious in post-war Libya, a country awash with weapons and where militias often do as they please.
Most foreign embassy staff and international aid workers have strict security in the city. Benghazi remains off-limits to many foreigners.
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- SP Meet Turns into Family Drama, Akhilesh & Shivpal Spar In Public
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: A Brief Profile of the 4 Ministers Sacked by Akhilesh
- The Camps: Split Wide Open in UP's First Family, Who Stands Where