Lin Dan may miss All England Badminton Championships
The Chinese superstar has reportedly cited lack of training as the reason behind his decision.
London: Chinese badminton superstar Lin Dan is almost sure to miss this year's All England Badminton Championships due to a lack of training after retaining the Olympic gold in London. Lin, dubbed "Super Dan" among his fans, has been on holiday after the Olympics and got married to his long-time girlfriend Xie Xingfang.
Lin was expected to resume training with the Chinese team in February and bid for his sixth All England champion in Birmingham in early March, reports Xinhua. But Li Weiguo, team manager of the Chinese national team, suggests Lin may not take part in the tournament. "We have consulted Lin Dan before submitting the participating players' list for All England, but he chose to withdraw citing lack of training," Weiguo said.
Lin won his fifth singles title at All England in 2011, but skipped all international Grand Prix events on the 2012 calendar in preparation for the London Olympics.
But the 28-year-old southpaw said earlier that he will not retire from badminton. "I never thought about hanging up my racquet after next year's world championships," Lin said. "I need some time to think about the next four years. I will consult my family, friends and coaches so that I can get fully ready for all the possible challenges once I return to the court next year."
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- BSF Seizes Gold Bars, One Bangaladeshi National Arrested
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom