Lin Dan may miss All England Badminton Championships
The Chinese superstar has reportedly cited lack of training as the reason behind his decision.
London: Chinese badminton superstar Lin Dan is almost sure to miss this year's All England Badminton Championships due to a lack of training after retaining the Olympic gold in London. Lin, dubbed "Super Dan" among his fans, has been on holiday after the Olympics and got married to his long-time girlfriend Xie Xingfang.
Lin was expected to resume training with the Chinese team in February and bid for his sixth All England champion in Birmingham in early March, reports Xinhua. But Li Weiguo, team manager of the Chinese national team, suggests Lin may not take part in the tournament. "We have consulted Lin Dan before submitting the participating players' list for All England, but he chose to withdraw citing lack of training," Weiguo said.
Lin won his fifth singles title at All England in 2011, but skipped all international Grand Prix events on the 2012 calendar in preparation for the London Olympics.
But the 28-year-old southpaw said earlier that he will not retire from badminton. "I never thought about hanging up my racquet after next year's world championships," Lin said. "I need some time to think about the next four years. I will consult my family, friends and coaches so that I can get fully ready for all the possible challenges once I return to the court next year."
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?