LoC killings isolated incident: Pak senator
Mushahid Hussain Sayed of the PML-Q said the killing of the 2 Indian soldiers by Pakistan Army was an 'isolated incident'.
New Delhi: Calling the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistan Army an "isolated incident", a senior Pakistani senator on Friday said such events should not be allowed to "spin out of control" which could result in vitiating the atmosphere of peace.
Mushahid Hussain Sayed, General Secretary of the PML-Q, also said the anti-India sentiment in his country has reduced considerably in the past few years and India is not an election issue in Pakistan for the past 25 years.
Delivering the 20th Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial Lecture here, Sayed also advocated the need for dialogue to resolve issues like Kashmir, Sir Creek and Siachen between the two countries. "There is a conducive environment. It is important that isolated incidents like the unfortunate one three to four days back (killing of Indian soldiers) should not be allowed to spin out of control. These incidents by an individual or a maverick on both sides should not allowed to vitiate the atmosphere," the journalist-turned-politician said.
The Senator, however, did not elaborate, but more than once said India and Pakistan need to keep up the momentum that has been achieved in the peace talks over the years. Talking about 'South Asia's Quest for a Future', he acknowledged the disconnect between the governments and people in both countries and said citizen activism will play and important role in the affairs of both nations in the future.
About the role of women and their safety, Sayed drew a parallel between the 23-year-old gangrape victim and Pakistan's teen activist Malala Yousufzai, saying both of them fought against attacks on rights of women. The Delhi girl has become an icon for the struggle for women's rights, the Senator said.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18