Local body polls in Karnataka on March 7
Elections would be held based on the 2007 reservation list as against the demand by the BJP for determining reserved seats based on 2011 census.
Bangalore: Elections for 208 urban local bodies in Karnataka will be held on March 7. This was announced by State Election Commissioner CR Chikkamath after the Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the State Chief Secretary to comply with the directions issued by SEC on holding elections. Chikkamath said that elections to seven city corporations, except Bangalore and other local bodies would be held on March 7.
Elections would be held based on the 2007 reservation list as against the demand by the Bharatiya Janata Party and other political parties for determining reserved seats based on 2011 census. Counting would take place on March 11. Repoll, wherever necessary, would be held on March 9, he said. Chikkamath said the notification for the polls would be issued on February 16 and the code of conduct would come into force from on Friday.
Filing of nominations would end on February 23 and scrutiny would take place on February 25. The last date for withdrawal is February 27. Noticing that repeated attempts were being made to postpone elections to the 208 urban local bodies in the state, the Supreme Court on Wednesday issued directions to all officers and other functionaries of the state not to attempt to frustrate the election process initiated by the SEC.
A Supreme Court bench comprising Justices GS Singhvi and HL Gokhale suo motu issued directions in this regard even after counsel for Dalit Sangharsh Samiti state unit sought permission to withdraw a petition in which it had questioned SEC's February 5 directive to all Deputy Commissioners to conduct elections as per the 2007 reservation list. The state government obeyed neither the Karnataka High Court's three separate directions to issue a fresh reservation list nor the Supreme Court directive to publish the list by February 4.
- Akhilesh Fantastic CM but Needs Time to Be Mass Leader: Amar Singh
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season