PM greets nation on Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal
Lohri and Makar Sakranti fall on January 13 and Pongal on January 14.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday greeted the nation on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal and hoped the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness for all. "These festivals mark the joy and hope that a new harvest brings," the prime minister.
"Farming is closely linked to our ethos and culture and the festivals remind us of the importance of agriculture to our country and economy," Singh said in his message. "May these festivals bring prosperity and happiness for all," he added.
Lohri and Makar Sakranti fall on January 13 and Pongal on January 14. Traditionally people in Punjab and Haryana build bonfires on Lohri.
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham