Hoax call: Jacintha's body to be flown to India
Jacintha Saldanha's family has demanded a probe after reports suggested she criticised hospital staff in one of her suicide notes.
New Delhi: The body of Jacintha Saldana, the nurse who committed suicide in London after a prank call by two Australian RJs, will be brought back to on Saturday and the funeral will take place in her hometown in Karnataka. A memorial mass service was held on Friday which was attended by her family and friends.
Meanwhile, the Guardian newspaper has revealed details of three of Saldanha's suicide notes. One criticises the hospital staff, the other speaks of the prank call by the Australian RJs, and the third speaks of the funeral arrangements she wanted.
The family has now sought an independent probe. Jacintha's husband, Benedict Barboza, will be escorting the body. Jacintha, who was 46, will be buried near Mangalore on Sunday.
On December 4, a pair of Australian RJs phoned the hospital, pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, seeking information on the Duchess' condition. Ms Saldanha, who answered the phone at the King Edward VII hospital, transferred their call to another nurse.
Three days later, she was found hanging in her room with a scarf. UK newspapers have reported that she left behind three suicide notes. In one of the notes, she allegedly described how she struggled to come to terms with the prank call by Australian DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian.
But in another, she reportedly criticises her senior colleagues at the hospital for their attitude towards her after the call was revealed to be a hoax.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes