Madurai: Poll dampens Sivaji euphoria
Fans of superstar Rajinikanth are upset with Madurai police for having pulled down the superstar's posters.
New Delhi: The Sivaji craze is catching up across India but the hype and hoopla has not come without its share controversy. Fans of the superstar are upset with Madurai police for having pulled down the posters of the movie put up in Madurai West Assembly constituency.
Elections are due in the constituency on June 26, and the action has been taken in view of that.
Such is the anger among the fans that the members of the District Rajini Fans' Association have submitted a memorandum to the Election Observer demanding a reversal of action.
"Rajini is a neutral man and has no connection whatsoever with politics. Why should police tear off the posters", association chief Rafiq Raja was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.
Election observer Ajay Tyagi told the association members that though he himself was a fan of the superstar, he could not allow posters in the poll-bound constituency.
However, Tyagi permitted them to paste the posters at other parts of the city.
Police, meanwhile, shifted the blame to local Corporation officials.
This did not do much to quell the anger of the agitating fans. "Rajini is beyond politics and it is our duty to welcome the movie. We also plan to move the court", a member of Rajini Association Pandian said.
Meanwhile, Rajini fans offered "palkudam" (walking several miles carrying milk pot) to the temple of Lord Subramaniaswamy at Tiruparankunram praying for the "success of the movie".
Some fans offered 'silver vel' (spear) worth Rs 5,000 to the temple.
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits