DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Magnitude 6.5 earthquake shakes central Chile
Authorities have ordered a preventative evacuation of parts of the coastline.
Santiago: A strong and prolonged earthquake of magnitude 6.5 has shaken central Chile. Authorities have ordered a preventative evacuation of parts of the coastline.
The US Geological Survey says the quake's epicenter was 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Valparaiso, Chile, and it had a depth of 15.5 miles (25 kilometers). It struck at just before midnight local time (3:50 Tuesday GMT).
Residents say the quake was felt for almost a minute.
Authorities say the evacuation was ordered from the city of Constitucion to Tongoy.
Chile's oceanography service discounted the possibility of a tsunami.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Don't Enjoy the Same 'Privileges' As Dhoni, Says Harbhajan Singh
- Bollywood Stars Attend Karan Johar's Birthday Bash
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?