Maharashtra: 123 talukas declared drought-hit
The decision was taken during a meeting of the state Cabinet in Mumbai, which was chaired by CM Prithviraj Chavan.
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Wednesday declared 123 talukas in the state as drought-hit. The decision was taken during a meeting of the state Cabinet in Mumbai, which was chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, an official said.
The state's relief and rehabilitation department identified the talukas based on norms for the Drought Prone Area Programme.
The norms on rainfall and crop sowing percentage were relaxed in some cases due to the exceptional nature of the situation prevailing there.
The state government is likely to put aside substantial funds for drought management, out of which all the qualifying talukas are expected to get a share, the official said.
Recommended For You
- 'I Keep Doing It' Declares Wembley Hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game