Maharashtra Civic Polls: BJP Wins 51 Municipal Chief's Posts, Shiv Sena 25
Picture shown is for illustration purpose only
Mumbai: BJP leads the pack in the municipal council president's elections to 147 bodies, winning 51 posts in Maharashtra.
BJP was followed by Shiv Sena with 25, Congress 23 and NCP with 18 posts, as per the final poll results declared this evening, by the State Election Commission.
As many as 19 other candidates and 11 independents have also been elected as municipal council presidents.
Following is the party-wise breakup of 3,727 seats in 164 municipal councils and nagar panchayats, including 3,705 seats for which polling was held on Sunday: BSP 9, BJP 893, CPI 0, CPM 12, Congress 727, NCP 615, Shiv Sena 529, MNS 7, other registered parties 91, unrecognised but registered parties 305, Independents 510, Alliances/Fronts 29.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has termed the BJP's victory in the municipal council polls in the state as not just a wave but a "tsunami".
"This (victory) is not merely a wave. This is a tsunami," Fadnavis, who joined in the celebrations at the state BJP office in south Mumbai, told reporters.
The BJP government is one which thinks of the common man," Fadnavis said, adding people have reposed their trust in the BJP-led regime.
Recommended For You
- Fashion Awards 2016International Model Of The Year: Gigi Hadid's Best Fashion Moments Of 2016
- Good Old DaysAishwarya Rai's Recent Photos With Her Dance Guru Will Give You Serious Nostalgia
- Fascinating!The Circle Trailer: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks Starrer is Dark and Compelling
- IND vs ENG 2016-17First Instance of no Mumbai Cricketer Playing on Home Ground
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly