Maharashtra drought: HC bans sand excavation
if sand excavation was allowed in drought-hit areas it would result in aggravating the problem, the Court said in an order last week.
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has restrained the Maharashtra Government from allowing excavation of sand in drought-hit villages, saying it would cause shortage of potable water for people and animals.
The Court was hearing a petition filed by Rajendra Eknath Dhande, who sought a direction to the authorities to disallow sand excavation in drought-hit Khatgaon village of Karmala taluka in Solapur district.
Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Anoop Mohta were of the view that sand excavation in drought-hit areas should be banned totally as it deprives the people of their basic requirement of water.
In drought-hit areas, already there was shortage of potable water and if sand excavation was allowed it would result in aggravating the problem, the Court said in an order last week.
The judges took into account a certificate issued by the Executive Engineer of Rural Water Supply Department, Zilla Parishad, Solapur, which said excavation of sand in drought-hit areas will result into serious problem for drinking water for people and animals.
Hearing the petition earlier, the Court had issued notice to respondents on Februrary 21 and made it returnable on February 28 in view of the urgency of the matter. The petition would come up for hearing again next week.
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Pakistan Can't Take India's Restraint Granted for Long: Wall Street Journal
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton