Maharashtra: Journalist arrested for attempt to rape minor
The accused happens to be the minor's neighbour and often used to take her on his bicycle after promising her chocolates or other eatables.
Yavatmal (Maha): A 50-year-old journalist of a local vernacular daily was arrested for his alleged attempt to rape a six-year-old girl here, police said on Monday. The accused, Pradeep Laxman Deshmukh, was caught on Sunday by a youth from an isolated spot near Arni state transport bus stand while he was trying to rape the girl studying in first standard.
The journalist was handed over to police by the youth and his friends, Arni police station official Girish Bobade said. "The accused was in an inebriated condition and confessed to have committed the crime," he said. A medical examination conducted on the six-year-old at Yavatmal Medical College confirmed attempt to rape.
Pradeep works for a local Marathi daily and is married. He has an 18-year-old daughter and a 16-year-old son, Bobade said, adding that the accused happens to be the minor's neighbour and often used to take her on his bicycle after promising her chocolates or other eatables.
The accused was produced on Monday before a local court, which remanded him in magisterial custody, police said.
- Donald Trump Announces 100-Day Presidency Plan
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals