Maken issues notice to India's Paralympic body
This has been done in the wake of India's Paralympic athletes complaining of official apathy.
New Delhi: Cracking the whip on the Paralympic Committee of India after receiving complaints from the participants in the London Games, sports minister Ajay Maken Friday issued a show cause notice to the body.
"On the basis of petitions received from participating paralympic athletes and others, show cause notice being issued to the PCI," Maken wrote on his twitter page.
Arjuna awardee powerlifter Farman Basha is among the parathletes who have complained of official apathy, saying that the passes of escorts and coaches at the Games Village are being used by officials of the PCI.
"My wife, Antonia sold her jewellery so I could represent India at the Games. She was also supposed to help me get my way around the events. She's my soul mate and I owe my success to her.
"Sadly, today she's stranded outside the Games Village, because Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) members are using the free facilities meant for athletes and their support staff," he wrote in a petition.
Officials from PCI have, however, denied these allegations.
"We cannot have an escort for every athlete. We have 10 athletes and only six people have been sanctioned to stay inside the Games Village. We are managing things with some people coming early at the Village and leaving late in the evening," an official from PCI told PTI.
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Akhilesh Briefs Governor on Political Crisis
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Kejriwal hobnobs with allies, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18