Bhullar verdict is 'death of democracy': SGPC
SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar added the bureaucratic setup of the country was "biased" against Sikhs.
Amritsar: Reacting sharply to the Supreme Court's verdict on Khalistani terrorist Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) on Friday said the judgement was "the death of democracy". "There are two kinds of laws in India. One kind of law is for the Sikh minorities and the other is for the rest of the country," SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said.
He added the bureaucratic setup of the country was "biased" against Sikhs. "The Government and the courts have done nothing so far to punish the guilty who were responsible for the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, as the accused are still roaming free," said Makkar.
"Government should do the needful to extend mercy to Bhullar keeping in view the sentiments of Sikh community, and the apex court should also reconsider its decision on compassionate ground," the SGPC president said. Meanwhile, radical Sikh outfit Dal Khalsa also criticised the decision.
Khalsa spokesperson Kanwar Pal Singh described the decision as "shocking and disturbing" for the Sikh community. The Supreme Court on Friday rejected the Bhullar's plea, in which the Khalistan terrorist had sought commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment on ground of delay in deciding his mercy plea.
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia
- Pak Approaches World Bank to Mediate Indus Waters Treaty Row With India
- Pakistan Approaches International Court of Justice Over Indus Waters Treaty
- Attempt to Block Islamabad's Share of Water "Act of War": Sartaj Aziz
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
From Our Network
- What ails Amma? Medical all-clear fails to end guessing job over Jayalalithaa's health- FirstPost
- JD(U) leader Sanjay Jha comes out in Arun Jaitley's defense, rules out his involvement in DDCA scam - Pradesh18
- Dadri lynching: Police find no evidence of cow slaughter by Akhlaq family, to file closure report - Pradesh18