Malaysia Open: Saina sails into 2nd round; PV Sindhu goes down fighting
Nehwal defeated Singapore's Gu Juan 21-12 21-15 and will take on Hong Kong's Pui Yin YIP in the second round.
Kuala Lumpur: Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal sailed into the second round of Malaysia Open after registering a straight-set victory over Singapore's Gu Juan in the women's singles event on Wednesday.
However, India's rising star PV Sindhu went down fighting to a higher-ranked Tine Baun of Denmark in her first round match. Saina, who has been given the top billing in the singles event, disposed off Juan's challenge 21-12 21-15 in a match that lasted 29 minutes at the Putra Stadium. In the first game, the two matched each other to be tied at six points before Saina displayed some aggressive net play to open up a three-point lead to 9-6.
Thereafter she just sailed ahead to clinch the game comfortably. The Hyderabadi, however, did not start well in the second game and was at one stage trailing 4-7 courtesy some brisk play by the Singaporean. But smashes from the 21-year-old Indian proved too much for the unseeded Juan to handle and she eventually lost the game and match.
Saina will next take on Hong Kong's Pui Yin YIP in the second round. Meanwhile, Sindhu fought hard before going down to the third seeded Baun in a three-set encounter, lasting 49 minutes.
Recommended For You
- Dhoni Motivates Jharkhand Teammates in Unique Style
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest