West Bengal: 7 infants die in 24 hours, high level probe ordered
Seven infants have died in less than 24 hours at a government hospital in Malda.
Malda: In more cases of infant deaths in West Bengal, seven infants have died in less than 24 hours at a government hospital in Malda. A high level task force has been appointed to probe the deaths.
While the authorities at the Malda Medical College are claiming that some of these infants were born terribly underweight and were brought to the hospital in a critical condition, the families of the infants are alleging negligence.
However, High Level Task Force Chairman Tridib Banerjee said that the infant deaths are not alarming. "Though the deaths are unfortunate, there is no reason to panic. If we take the figure for a longer period of 9-10 days, you will notice that this is approximately 3 per day which is not a big figure. It is alarming when you say 7 or 9 in a day," Banerjee said.
"There are total seven children who have died, out of which two children were born in this hospital, whereas five children were brought in from elsewhere," Abdur Rashid said.
The family members of the infants have said that they came from far-flung areas hoping that their children would be cured.
"I don't believe the officials that the children are dying due to some external factor and that they are not able to save the children from it," Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury said.
Earlier in September at least 25 infants had died in four days at a government-run hospital in Kolkata.
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan