Ensure Nasheed contests elections: India
Former Maldives President Mohammed Nasheed is in fresh trouble and has taken refuge at the Indian High Commission.
Male: Former Maldives President Mohammed Nasheed is in fresh trouble and has taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male after the country's highest court refused to stay the arrest warrant against him.
Talking tough on the issue, India has asked the current President, Mohammed Waheed, to ensure that Mohammed Nasheed is able to contest the elections in September. India has said that the credibility of the elections will be affected if the former president is not able to contest.
Earlier, referring to Nasheed, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai had said, "He has said he needs our assistance. We are talking to him, then we will talk to the government of Maldives."
According to sources, it could take days before the issue is settled. The warrant has been issued against Nasheed over alleged illegal detention of judge Abdullah Gazi.
Confirming the reports of his taking refuge in the Indian embassy, Nasheed had posted a tweet, "Mindful of my own security and stability in the Indian Ocean, I have taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Maldives."
Reacting to the development, Maldivian President Office spokesperson Masood Imad said, "As of now he is just visiting the Indian High Commission. We will wait and watch. We have no reason now to say he has taken refuge there."
Imad further said, "The Indian government is fully aware of what Nasheed has been doing. The Indian government will make a wise decision."
Talking about the situation, Hamid Abdul Ghafoor, spokesperson for the Maldivian Democratic Party, said it was too early to say on the political asylum issue. He further said, "I believe that Nasheed wants India government to help. Indians are best suited to help."
- Karan Johar Vs MNS: CM Fadnavis Turns Peacemaker
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District